Exciting Week Update!

 Hello! It has been a very exciting week and I have learned a lot about Ghana and myself. I also finished 'teaching' this week and am grateful for all of the experience I gained as a teacher. I still have many exciting things to do in Ghana so am looking forward to continuing my time here!        

Me at Potter's Praise

Last Sunday, I experienced something unlike anything that I had ever done before. I was invited to attend an event called "Potter's Praise" This was a giant worship service in a large church that lasted for many hours. This event started at 2 pm and I left early at 10 pm because I was tired and had school the next day. Throughout the service, many musical artists took the stage to perform religious songs. As the night stretched on, people became more passionate about the music. It was super cool to hear more Ghanaian religious music while engaging in such a large event. We also took a break to stretch outside and walked past a little zoo where I got to watch an adorable monkey eat vegetation fed to him by nearby children.

I went to the seamstress again mid-last week to order some more clothing. The seamstress did a wonderful job with the initial dresses so I am looking forward to seeing how the clothing turns out. I ordered clothes using fabric that I bought at the market.

Some fabric that I bought

On Thursday, I took the day off of school for a special occasion. We celebrated my host brother's college graduation with his graduation ceremony! We took a trip to a college campus in Accra for the ceremony. It was cool to see a college campus in Ghana and to see what a college campus here is like. I also got to support and connect more with my host family during this occasion. I am grateful that I got to experience this.

This week at school was also fun. My school has a week each semester called "revision week" which occurred last week. My cooperating teachers and I helped students to revise their notes and review for the upcoming exams. This was my last week doing any teaching here. I helped with revision sessions but only led some of them. I enjoyed this because it gave me a chance to learn from my cooperating teachers as I watched them teach and manage the classroom.  I also learned a lot about what students have been studying and working on all semester. In my free time at school here, I have started writing a few reports. I have been tasked with writing student reports about their progress and performance throughout the semester. I have also been encouraged to write a report on my experience at the school and in Ghana and I have been enjoying doing that. I am grateful to be able to help the teachers out however I can.

A building at the University of Ghana

Today was another very fun day. I was connected with a St. Norbert Alumni earlier this week who offered to help me see more of Ghana. He picked me up today and took me to see parts of Accra with a family member. They showed me the University of Accra and trading ports at the shore. At the end of our trip, we went to the mall and visited Burger King and a few stores. After eating Ghanaian food for weeks, I savored my burger and fries and was happy to return to eating traditional food for dinner. I had a fun day and was glad to meet another connection here.

I have three weeks left here and I am excited to see what else I learn in my time here!

Comments

Popular Posts